Histopathological patterns and biological characteristics of ameloblastoma: A retrospective cross-sectional study
Yahaya, James J.
MetadataShow full item record
This study aims to determine the histopathological patterns and biological characteristics of ameloblastoma.This was a cross-sectional retrospective laboratory-based study using 82 formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue blocks from patients diagnosed histologically with ameloblastoma. Information regarding age, sex, anatomical location of the lesion, histopathologic type, and biological behaviour or characteristics of the types of ameloblastoma was obtained from laboratory request forms. Categorical and continuous variables were summarized in percentage and mean ± standard deviation, respectively. The cohort was conducted on Ugandan patients diagnosed between 2016 and 2019.Most patients (66.3%) were clinically presenting a painless jaw swelling, and a follicular pattern was common (39%) followed by the plexiform pattern (12.2%). All the ameloblastoma cases (100%) were benign, with the majority (76.8%) cases being non-recurrent while the remaining (23.2%) were recurrent, and the plexiform pattern was the commonest recurrent histopathological pattern.This study reports a relatively significant rate of recurrence in almost a quarter of the study population. The plexiform histopathologic type was the dominant type in recurrence cases. Therefore, this finding provides insightful information to clinicians to ensure close follow-up for patients diagnosed with such a variant to prevent possible relapse of the disease.
- Natural Sciences